Message from the Health Department
Elementary Health Education
The elementary health curriculum has been developed with the input of health content experts and are aligned with the National Health Education Standards, CASEL Standards, and Skills-Based Learning Methods. The K-5 health model of Plymouth provides:
- time to learn and practice health habits and skills for a lifetime.
- a focus on helping young people develop and practice personal and social skills, such as communication and decision making, in order to deal effectively with health-risk situations.
- strategies to address social and media influences on student behaviors and help students identify heal thy alternatives to specific high-risk behaviors.
- an emphasis on critical knowledge and skills that students need in order to obtain, understand, and use basic health information and services in ways that enhance healthy living.
- a focus on behaviors that have the greatest effect on health, especially those related to nutrition; physical activity; violence and injury; alcohol and other drug use; and tobacco use.
- a developmentally appropriate approach to building the functional knowledge and skills, from year to year