Message from the Coordinator
“Mathematics is not about numbers, equations, computations, or algorithms: it is about understanding” — William Paul Thurston
The mission of the Plymouth Public Schools’ Mathematics Department is to provide relevant and rigorous standards-based instruction for all students to attain and enhance proficiency in all areas of mathematics including technology, critical thinking, and problem-solving in preparation for future academic and career goals. We follow the 2017 Massachusetts Mathematics Curriculum Framework which can be found by clicking here.
In addition, the Plymouth Schools incorporate the following grade appropriate instructional objectives in their classroom and school community:
Students will independently and collaboratively:
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them using a variety of strategies
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively
- Construct viable arguments and critique the reasoning of others in oral and written form
- Model relationships between quantities; verbally, pictorially, graphically, and symbolically
- Choose and use appropriate tools strategically including paper and pencil, concrete models, mental math, rules and algorithms, protractors, calculators, spreadsheets, as well as other math software applications
- Attend to precision by checking the accuracy of problem solving strategies and calculations
- Look for patterns, and make use of mathematical structure
- Look for and express regularity in repeated reasoning
[Based on the 2017 Massachusetts Curriculum Framework for Mathematics, Standards for Mathematical Practices]
Whenever possible, play games with your children, and look for opportunities to involve your children in real-world experiences involving math. In addition, I encourage you to partner with our schools and teachers to help develop your child's mathematical thinking, problem-solving, and skills.
Please feel free to contact me at any time with questions regarding our Plymouth Public Schools mathematics programming.
Thank you for your support!
Mathematics Curriculum Coordinator
Plymouth Public Schools