Class of 2020 Graduation Details
On June 6, 2020 we invite the Class of 2020 to a unique and memorable graduation ceremony on the Plymouth Waterfront by the historic Plymouth Rock.
Due to state regulations and guidance, this year’s graduation ceremony will be a vehicle procession ending at a stage on the Plymouth Waterfront where the graduate will receive his/her diploma cover.
We have been working closely with the Plymouth Police Department in planning this event. In order to escort vehicles quickly and safely throughout the procession, police detail and security will be present.
One vehicle allowed per graduate. Members of the graduate’s family can and should be in the vehicle. This is a very special moment! We encourage immediate family members to be present. The vehicle should be driven by a parent/guardian so that the graduate can focus on the walkways beside the procession route and safely exit the vehicle when at the stage. We ask that the graduate sit on the passenger side of the vehicle dressed in cap and gown. Limousines, party buses, or large vans are prohibited. If a graduate is in need of transportation, please contact your school principal.
Please note: For family and friends at home, this ceremony will be broadcast LIVE on our Facebook page and EDTV Channels. Everyone will have an up-close view of each graduate, whether in the vehicle or at home.
Students will be asked to meet at a “staging” location prior to the start of graduation. At this location, school staff will direct vehicles. Staging locations will be shared in a future communication. Vehicles will then be escorted in groups to Water Street to a specially-built stage overlooking the ocean in front of Plymouth Rock. This is where the very special moment will take place!
Once the graduate’s vehicle arrives at the stage, school staff members will welcome the graduate to exit the vehicle and walk across the stage to be greeted by Superintendent Dr. Maestas, School Committee Chair, and School Principal. Social distancing protocols will be in place. Each graduate’s name will be read loudly and proudly for family and friends present and at home to hear. Graduates will exit the stage, have a professional photo taken, and will be directed back to the vehicle to then exit the waterfront. Professional photos will be shared with families through life touch for purchase as is protocol annually at our graduations.
While family members will be asked to remain in the vehicle, they will be closer than ever before to witness their graduate take part in this unique and historic commencement. There will be memorable moments along the procession route. We ask that the graduate be on the passenger side of the vehicle dressed in their cap and gown so not to miss these moments.
It is important to remember:
- Family cars should only be included in this procession. Students CAN decorate their family car. Students are not permitted to rent Limos, Party Buses, etc. and there should be one graduate per vehicle.
- Specific details on where and when to report on the morning of graduation will be given in person at a socially distant cap & gown distribution the week of June 1st. Facemasks will be provided to students with the school logo on the front.
- At the stage, graduates will exit their cars. They will have their names read and will then walk up and cross the graduation stage. This will also be broadcast LIVE on television, Facebook, and radio. After receiving their individual recognition, they will re-enter their car and will exit the procession.
- Lifetouch photographers and EDTV staff will be present to capture the event for families as students cross the stage.
- In the essence of time, it is important that all families adhere to these guidelines. Diplomas will be mailed home to students on June 5th.